Friday, February 6, 2015

Final Sculpture for BA2


This is my result for the project in which we produce a game-ready asset. My gargoyle is based off of the design of the fantastical creature, Cockatrice. Since gargoyles in and around the medieval era were mostly designed to look like evil creatures to lure people into the safe haven of the Church, I thought that the Cockatrice would be a perfect subject because of how it is known to kill with just a look.


The above picture shows the topology of my model at a lower subdivision level. This is at subdivision level 2, or one subdivision above the lowest. I utilised the use of both a UV map (generated with UV Master) and a displacement map to get the detail of the high-poly sculpt onto a lower poly model. At this subdivision, the model is around 40,000 active points.


This picture shows how the gargoyle would be utilised to funnel water from the wall. The gargoyle would most likely be mounted on a pedestal, with a trough leading water to the top of the tail, which the trough carries along the top of. The water is led across the tail into the back of the head, where there is a hole that runs through the head into the mouth. The water runs through the head and out the bottom, where it is flung far away from the wall the gargoyle is resting on.


While the back of the model may not necessarily be seen due to how it is mounted on the wall, it is not devoid of detail. This is in case it is placed somewhere where these features are visible, such as if it were knocked off the wall and is lying on the ground.



These images show the gargoyle in poses it would probably be seen at in reality. It is still clear what the overall silhouette of the gargoyle is, meaning that I have created a good, strong form within my gargoyle. Overall, I am extremely pleased with how this came out and am impressed at the quality of work I was able to produce with a product I am relatively new to.

No comments:

Post a Comment