Saturday, October 18, 2014

Silhouette Summary & Development Part 1

Since being given the theme of Edo Japan for my first project, we were set to produce silhouettes towards our first character design. The basis is from the short story The Tinderbox, within which we are supposed to apply our themes. From the first character design tutorial I was given the impression that silhouettes we create should be quite formless, using only subtle suggestions to show the form and pose of the person and to have little to no design to it so as to not form pre-conceptions.

So, I began, using a large brush set at a fairly low opacity. It was mostly like scribbling, but trying to stick to very loose guidelines such as maintaining a fairly human-looking shape. These silhouettes were the result of the first go-around.


At first, I used a very low opacity, but I experimented in increasing opacity and using a smaller brush size for creating silhouettes. The only problem with creating very fast and formless silhouettes is that there were a lot that I did not see much in, so a lot of these figures were not developed at all and only a few were selected. The following were selected and developed further, as shown below.



I developed more of a form with these figures, but I did not add any defining features or personality as I could very much change my mind upon seeing other figures. I only chose one to detail further, yet I still kept detail to a minimum until I researched into clothing designs. I still do not think that I am not finished with this stage as I feel there is still more that I could explore and experiment with in terms of silhouettes and early design.


No comments:

Post a Comment