Monday, April 13, 2015

Life Drawing 3

Even though the subject of my life drawing is not relevant to my current project, I still think that it would be a good idea to demonstrate how my skills with drawing from life are improving, as these skills are vital in creating realistic looking assets, be it human, object or environment.

During this session, we were first asked to draw some quick poses whilst our model moved toward and picked up an object. This was a challenge as often I have to re-draw the lines to make sure I am happy with them, which can waste time when drawing quickly. As usual, it took one or two drawings for me to get up to speed, which I hope to improve upon as time goes on. Perhaps I should consider doing some warm-up drawings by myself before life drawing sessions so that I am more prepared.

 Our second task was to do a series of even shorter poses, about 30 second poses whilst the model walked around in a circle. The biggest thing to get to grips with was being very rough and trying to capture the essence of her shape with few very quick, very erratic gestures. At first, I was spending too much time trying to actually draw the pose which meant I often lost track as she moved around and would run out of time. However, I now have a better idea of quick gesture drawing, focusing more upon the dynamism of the pose rather than the detail of a model's body.

Our final task was a long pose, being advised to draw in the box and the floor to get a more completed piece. I chose to use mid-tone paper as I enjoy bringing out the lighter tones with chalk, which gives a much more balanced piece. I could have spent more time on the face as I feel it is not quite as accurate as the rest of the body, as I spent a lot less time on it than I did making sure that everything was in the right place. Either way, I am pleased with how effective the shading is, as it is clear to see where everything is and how it is shaped.

No comments:

Post a Comment