Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Creative Iterations 2

Developing on further from my initial iterations, I decided to work further with the design I came to in my last post.


The fundamental elements are there, but it needs more detail. As I said before, I would like to include windows on the 'second floor' to let in light for those who go inside.


 These were two ideas I toyed with first. I tried varying it up a little by making it hexagonal rather than circular. This would make it a lot easier to make modular, but in the end it contrasted too much with the other circular elements and I decided to shelve it. The second idea I had incorporated a lot more curves, as well as thickening out the overall design. The pillars I re-made to work better with the arches that support the 'second floor', but I am unsure as to how to work them in. Either way, I think they are a good aesthetic element and I would like to keep them in somehow.





 These four images show a few variations with a cone roof, as a change from the spherical roof I've been doing for the other folly iterations. However, I believed it deviated too far from the idea of a Georgian period folly and decided to try something else.




Instead I experimented with more of the spherical roof, adding a few variations, as well as shrinking the design down a little vertically as I felt like having it taller was unnecessary and would help balance the folly out a little. Again, I tried the idea of windows at the top, though I am as yet unsure as to what shape to have them. 

I refined the idea into a more cohesive shape, as well as putting elements like the pillars and arches together. The difference between the two is minor, but I added a little trim to the top of the pillars in the right image, so as to match with the bottom of the pillars. Overall, I am happy with the idea and general shape, but there are still some issues to be addressed, which were also pointed out to me in the most recent group critique.


Whilst the folly looks visually pleasing, there are some elements that don't make sense from a design perspective. For example, compared to the door, the thickness of the pillars and their distance from the building means that there is a lot of dead space - space people can't really get to or walk along. They get in the way of people that may want to walk around the outside. The size of the steps around the outside are also very large compared to the door, meaning that, in life, people would have to really reach to climb up. Plus, at the moment, the balcony is inaccessible (intentional, it's not meant to be walked on, but is an aesthetic choice) and if it is meant to act as an overhang, it doesn't offer much coverage.


The above image shows the modularity I had planned for this model. Whilst I do like the design myself, I can agree with the criticism and know I must design the model again, though I do not have to go through the process all over, but use this as a base and tweak based on the criticism I have received.

No comments:

Post a Comment