Sunday, January 11, 2015

3D Iterations Part 1

Even though I have had a small amount of prior experience with ZBrush, I have already been introduced to new tools, most notably being DynaMesh. So, I set to work getting my first ideas out of my head, considering that I have considered the possibility of a cockatrice.


I started out with a sphere and stretched it out, meaning that I have a very solid sphere. While this means that, considering realistic situations, the gargoyle would be very sturdy, it does not look very aesthetically pleasing as there is a whole wasted amount of stone in the middle. However, this first sculpt was more of an experiment rather than becoming more confident with my ideas, so I experimented a little with tools such as polish to see if I could get an angular shape on my gargoyle.


As shown above, I tried making flattened edges which worked fairly well, but I would have to find a more efficient way to create flat surfaces like a carved statue if I were to ever incorporate this style into a full sculpture.


Staying open as to what my gargoyle will be based off of, I took inspiration from one of the images from the Monstrorum Historia. Here I worked with a similar basis, where I pulled out the shape from a sphere, but starting slightly differently. I went in first with the trim tool to cut out a quarter from the sphere, as if to mount the gargoyle on the corner of a building. This tool was interesting but also very finnicky. I will have to look into a more efficient method to do this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment