Sunday, January 11, 2015

Mood Board - Monstrorum Historia


Monstrorum Historia is a book of strange beasts composed by Ulisse Aldrovandi in 1642. Some of the creations he presented in this book were already based behind a myth or an existing fantastical creature, such as cockatrices, harpies and centaurs, but others were more interesting, inspired from his own research into natural history. This is an unique insight as to the though processes of people from these time periods, who believed that these sorts of beasts truly existed, which may be the basis as to why fantastical creatures are quite prevalent in gargoyles from this time.

I won't use these images as a basis as the exact animals that they were taken from is vague - I would have to do quite a bit of guesswork - but I know that I can have some more freedom with the designs that I take, as well as the aesthetic that was generally popular around this time period.

No comments:

Post a Comment